Re-running the upgrade script didn't help, as I mentioned, I tried numerous times and with different browsers.IMPORTANT EDIT:
I'm not sure the method in the message below actually works; you do need to copy across the media
folder contents from the old site to new, but even with that in place, I found that I tended to get blank pages served for the public site even though the admin interface worked fine. Instead, see later in the thread. The message below is left in case it still somehow proves helpful to someone.
Further to this, I've got it working as follows. First, if you're reading this looking for a solution, do you have the same problem?
- Follow the 2.7 to 2.8.x upgrade instructions including running the upgrade script
- If your administration pages still say "2.7" at the top right then probably you have the same problem as me
- Another indicator is that the 'Settings' page's "Default Settings" section contains a drop-down menu for "Template", but either does not contain a drop-down menu for "Backend-Theme" at all, or the menu is empty
If you're already
in the position of seeing the template name error due to having saved settings on an errant installation, then re-running the upgrade script should patch up the database and let you back in (at least until you save settings again - so don't do that!). Run the upgrade script and check that the admin interface loads. If you still get the template path error, then you'll need to hand-update your database somehow. Various instructions are elsewhere in this thread; if you end up doing this at the MySQL terminal, the SQL you'll probably need is:
UPDATE settings SET value="wb_theme" WHERE name="default_theme";
This is important, so I'll repeat myself - you need to be in a position where you've attempted to upgrade from 2.7 to 2.8 by copying over files and running the upgrade script, and your administration interface is currently working
(though it might look strange, e.g. still say 'version 2.7'), but you know that it will fail to work if
you try to save the settings again. Do not proceed further unless this is the case.
So, I'll assume you now have a working half-2.7-half-2.8 admin interface but you can't modify settings without breaking it again. The next thing to do is basically reverse the upgrade instructions. They tell you to copy WebsiteBaker 2.8 over your WebsiteBaker 2.7 files. In this case, we do roughly the opposite, so first we need to get a clean installation of 2.8 running:
- Move all of your web site's files to a safe location
- Install 2.8.1 from clean into the location where your site used to live, as if installing anew
- Go through the installation procedure giving the correct database details except for the database name - use a different name here, or you will trash your existing site!
- Complete the installation and confirm that the admin pages work, including seeing the relevant entries in 'settings', albeit for a new, "empty" web site
Now you need to make this "empty" v2.8 installation look like your old site:
- Copy back any custom modifications you made from your 2.7/2.8-not-quite-working old site
- Pay particular attention to any template changes you may have made and check the WebsiteBaker upgrade documentation to see if you need to make any modifications / merge changes
- Open the new installation's config.php in a text editor and change the database name so that it now points at your original, 2.7-upgraded-to-2.8 database
- Reload the admin interface and check your site; you should find that your site is back in place (since the database WebsiteBaker is reading now contains your original data) while the admin pages still say "2.8" at the top right
- You should be able to save settings without anything going wrong.
Hopefully that'll sort it for you. The less you modified in your 2.7 installation, the less you need to copy / merge into your clean 2.8 installation; in my case, I had a single custom template I'd written, so I just copied over those files (because the 2.7-to-2.8 updated database already 'knew' about that template). The upgrade script had already correctly patched up the database so it was suitable for 2.8; the problem lay in the files, where the attempt to copy 2.8 files over the 2.7 files had, it seems, not worked as expected (despite use of cp -f
with no errors reported).