Author Topic: Uploading modules/templates on IIS Error WorkAround  (Read 8083 times)

Offline Bramus

• BRAMUS Internet Services
Uploading modules/templates on IIS Error WorkAround
« on: May 17, 2007, 12:06:13 PM »
Some webhosts are running IIS v6.0. This is a Windows Server 2003 webhost. There is a problem with a standard PHP.ini file and the uploading / installing modules / templates function in the admin section.

What happens?
When you try to upload a file, it says: can't upload file. But you did give the temp folder in the WebsiteBaker dir all access for the IUSR_<SERVERNAME> and you did give him write access. But still this problem excists.

Well it has just nothing to do with a misconfiguration in IIS as a lot of people thought (also here on WB when i asked for help). It is a misconfiguration in the PHP module for IIS!

How can i solve this?
Very easy! Go to you php directory (most of the time c:\php\ and find the php.ini. The php.ini can also be located in the C:\windows\system32 dir or C:\windows\ dir. Make sure you find the file that is being used by your IIS and php (you can also check the extensions in IIS to make sure you have the good file). Once founded open it with an text editor like Notepad or something. Now go and find the next line:

;upload_tmp_dir =

or

upload_tmp_dir =

When the ; is in front of it, it means it has not been configured and PHP uses the standard directory (i dont know what dir that is so that's why i made my own dir).

Uncomment the line by removing ; and make a new dir on one of you harddisks, like C:\Temp. I suggest doing it at a d:\ drive cause we have to give the IUSR write access. Once you created a dir, edit the php.ini with the new dir. For example:

upload_tmp_dir = "C:\Temp"

Here i used the C:\Temp folder witch i created. Once you have this done save the php.ini file. Now go to the created dir ( C:\Temp ) and go the the Tab Security. Add the user IUSR_<servername> to the users and give that user write access. Press Apply and work your way out with OK.

Now go to the IIS MMC and restart the IIS service or server. Once restarted check again. Now it should work as normal!

When you found the line

upload_tmp_dir = "C:\Tempory Files"

in the php.ini with already a dir behind it, make sure the IUSR has the good permissions on that folder!

Last but not least
Enjoy and i'm not responsible for any damage to you system  :wink:
BRAMUS Internet Services

Offline ruebenwurzel

• Betatester
  • Keep on Rockin
    • Familie Gallas Online
Re: Uploading modules/templates on IIS Error WorkAround
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 03:03:27 PM »
Hello bramus,

thanks for this tip. We really appreciate it cause we are already interested on every solution wich makes WB fully working in IIS Servers too. The most people didn't get it working and as you are think right in the most cases i think it's simply missconfiguration of IIS, MySql or PHP. So if you have WB fully working it would be very helpfull to have an example of your config or your config files. I think a lot of people will like it.

Matthias

Offline Bramus

• BRAMUS Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:02:24 PM »
Hi Ruebenwurzel,

As off the topic were Ryan was searching webspace, we got intouch with eatch other. And i already offered my help cause i'm running IIS 6 with php 5.2 and mysql 4.1 NT Community on my Windows 2003 server located in a DC in Amsterdam.

I had this problem also in my own sites so i did install some things by hand, but as i had a surgery on my knee i wasnt be able to work for 6 weeks and still counting, so i thought lets make that website baker working on my box. I started searching and reading the error messages very carefull and started thinking what could be wrong and this is how i figured it out.

So i'm willing to contribute to this nice project, if people need help with Windows and WebsiteBaker i'm sure willing to offer my help. Maybe it is an idea to make a seperate section for windows hosters like you did with German language. I can offer my help cause i just enjoy this great CMS and i still use it.

You know were to find me (pm / mail) if you want me to contribute some things :)

Greetz BramuS
BRAMUS Internet Services

Offline ruebenwurzel

• Betatester
  • Keep on Rockin
    • Familie Gallas Online
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 06:56:07 AM »
Hello,

thanks for your answer and your offer to help us with the windows machines. Yes maybe a separate subforum in the help section especially for windows machines is a good idea. Can you ask Ryan about this and beg him to open this subforum and make you the moderator?

Matthias