Author Topic: WB Portable transition or working PHP 5.6 and 7.1 at same time  (Read 64 times)

Online sky writer

WB Portable transition or working PHP 5.6 and 7.1 at same time
« on: January 12, 2018, 09:52:58 PM »
I use WB Portable for local development.  I just noticed that there were a couple of releases Mar 09 2017, which I missed.
Wb-Portable-2.10.x-php56
Wb-Portable-2.10.x.php71

I am currently developing under the installation which included SP7.  But I do not use the pre-installed WB installation.  I install my own (dozens) folders in the "root" folder and work on many WB versions of sites.

Here is a reference to my previous post, asking about transitioning from WBPortable SP5 to WBPortable SP7
https://forum.WebsiteBaker.org/index.php/topic,29644.msg207564.html#msg207564

What is the best way to:
  • move current installations to the new WB Portable version and database
  • work on both WB Portable PHP 5.6 and 7.1 at the same time, for testing

I realize these questions might have the same answer.

Thanks for your help.

Offline jacobi22

• Forum administrator
    • Jacobi22
Re: WB Portable transition or working PHP 5.6 and 7.1 at same time
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 01:22:22 AM »
i'm not sure, but the version, which work with the included SP7 was PHP 5.3.x, is it??

if you ask me... use the Portable with PHP 7.x, but if you work with a lot of friends or customers with a online php-version 5.x, maybe it make's sense to work also with PHP 5.x

WB 2.10 and WB 2.11 needs at minimum PHP 5.6 and is testet also with PHP 7.2.0

What is the best way to:

move current installations to the new WB Portable version and database
    work on both WB Portable PHP 5.6 and 7.1 at the same time, for testing

not sure, what you mean with "at the same time"
it is possible, if you change (in one portable only)
- in settings/usbwebserver.ini  the Apache port from default 4001 to 4002
- in root/docs in all php-file the port in the links  like http://localhost:4001/....../ to http://localhost:4002/......./  (~ 30 x)
- in root/your wb-folder the WB-URL to 4002

- in settings/usbwebserver.ini  the Mysql port from default 3307 to 3308
- in root /your_wb-folder every config.php the mysqli-port from 3307 to 3308

now restart the server (if running) and close possible open browser tabs, the start again. now you can run in browser tab1 - the portable with php5.6 and in the next browser tab the portable with php 7.1.
if needed, copy the old wb-installationfolder into both portables and import the database also into new new portables

from my point, it make's no sense, to test in both versions, it's difficult to work with it. my opinion... use the latest version 7.1. , it's enough, and you see there alle the problems inside the modules

P.S.: next portable comes with the WB 2.11 stable in february 2018, php-version not set yet. from my point, php.7.1.x it's okay for portable
Es bist immer nur Du, auch wenn du mich vergisst, es gibt niemanden, der mir näher ist
Immer nur du, die mich wach hält
(*miss you*)

Online sky writer

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 03:31:48 AM »
You always make me see things a different way, thanks!  I have been working with php 5.6 in local development, because that's what is on my client's live servers.  I was not working locally in 7.1, because I didn't want things to start breaking... but as you say, that is the best way to see if things are broken... so you can fix them.
"use the latest version 7.1. , it's enough, and you see there alle the problems inside the modules
  And obviously, I can't/shouldn't try to stay on 5.6 forever.  Thanks for the push.

Okay, so I will install WB Portable, PHP 7.1 version.

copy the old wb-installationfolder into both portables
I use the workflow you suggested, where all my installation folders are in the "root" folder, and then they are all listed in the docs/index.php file.

Here are the main questions I need answered:
  1. Can I simply copy all the installation folders from my current Wb-Portable-2.8.3-SP7 "root" folder, and paste them into the "root" folder of the new Wb-Portable-2.10.x-php71 folder?

and import the database also into new new portables
  2. Is this a matter of copying and pasting certain folders/files from one installation to the other, or is it a process of exporting each individual site's database as an sql file, and then importing them one by one into the new database?  Or can I bulk export all the databases tables from the old data and bulk import to the new one.
Sorry, I am not very knowledgeable or confident when working with databases.

Thanks again!

Online sky writer

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 07:09:19 PM »
On top of the two questions from my previous post, I have another.

I recently lost some database table info, somehow.  I can't replicate this happening, so I have to assume it was user error on my part.  Anyway, I am strengthening my backup strategies to try to avoid this possibility again in the future.  Live and learn.

To that end, I am scheduling differential backups of all important folders used by WB Portable in my local development.

3. What folders / files are crucial for recovery?

I know I need to backup all the files from all my installation folders:
WB-Portable\root\All_My_Installation_Folders

And I assume all folders and files from this directory are crucial for associated database info:
WB-Portable\mysql\data

But are there any other folders or files which are crucial to revert to an earlier instance of my local WB Portable dev environment?

postern-length