Author Topic: WB core is using deprecated function...?  (Read 512 times)

Offline Ruud

• Do not use PM for help! Please use the forum!
    • Dev4Me - Professional WebsiteBaker Development
WB core is using deprecated function...?
« on: January 21, 2017, 11:55:51 PM »
While checking my errorlogs I noticed:
Code: [Select]
    [E_USER_DEPRECATED]
    /framework/functions.php:[637] 
    from /admin/media/create.php:[70]
    createFolderProtectFile "Deprecated function call: framework/functions.php::createFolderProtectFile"

I would not expect the core code to use functions that are deprecated.

Online jacobi22

• Support only via PM or EMail
    • Jacobi22
Re: WB core is using deprecated function...?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 12:39:25 AM »
this code is not part of the actual WB-Version / see here -> http://forum.WebsiteBaker.org/index.php/topic,29816.0.html
Etwas ist nur unmöglich, wenn man glaubt, dass es das ist!

Offline DarkViper

• Forum administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:33:21 AM »
@ruud
The function functions.php::createFolderProtect File is no longer available.
So I had 2 options:
  • Simply remove the function => will crash the system if somewhere (add-on, core) still a forgotten call of the function exists.
  • Insert a dummy function which throws a [E_USER_DEPRECATED] => will show all outdated function calls without crash.
In your case, I think that your files [media/create.php] and [framework/functions.php] come from different developmental levels.
Manuela
Der blaue Planet - er ist nicht unser Eigentum - wir haben ihn nur von unseren Nachkommen geliehen

"You have to take the men as they are… but you can not leave them like that !" :-P
Das tägliche Stoßgebet: Oh Herr, wirf ihnen Hirn vom Himmel !

Offline Ruud

• Do not use PM for help! Please use the forum!
    • Dev4Me - Professional WebsiteBaker Development
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 11:40:30 PM »
Ok, I see that in the last "patchfile" this functioncall was removed.
My sites are all on the "stable" SP7, and there this function is still called, but the function itself is deprecated (and doing nothing)..

My thoughts about these patches..

I think it is real shame we have no information about the complete why these patches being provided..
For me a patch from SP7 to SP7 is not an important one.
Without knowing what is updated in a patch every "service pack" or "revision" update seems a minor update.

I would really like to update my customer websites with updates, but without anyone explaining why I should upload a patch (and login as superuser, and run an upgrade script) and giving me a very good reason I will not spend days to update everything.
I also want/need to inform my customers why their website received a patch or update, but I feel really stupid that I have to tell them I do not know why I updated their site.

I know there are many more WB users that cannot afford to do minor updates to their many customer websites, so if it does not seem very important updates are not done!
It is is not known what is updated, there is no way to test effectively the customer website to see if the update created any new problems (happened too much in the past)

Finaly..

Rumors about new WB version/SP/revision updates being tested will stop me spending time to patch websites. This will be just too expensive. A soon as I am ready with updating all of them I would have to start over with the next patch.

Ruud

Offline sky writer

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 02:42:42 AM »
I echo EVERYTHING Ruud has kindly communicated.

I just finally got finished educating all my client as to why their websites needed to be upgraded to the SP7 Security patch.  I then performed the work, and charged my clients accordingly.  I pointed out to clients who were resistant to investing in the security upgrade that some other CMS have more numerous and frequent security issues (WP for instance).  But now I am starting to find myself in a position where I am finding it difficult to know when to commit to a new upgrade, as apposed to waiting for the latest most secure version which actually brings value to that particular website.  And my clients will surely tire of the "the sky is falling" warnings and be less responsive to investing in my time and efforts.

Obviously the Dev's time and skill is appreciated and upgrades are essential to move a CMS forward.  As Ruud said, if there was just more transparency about new versions/patches, it would make our decisions easier and work-flow more efficient.

Offline CodeALot

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »
Agreed. I do never update any website "just like that". For every update, I create local copies of the live websites, perform the updates, test the results and only if everything is still functioning, I copy the updated site to the live server. So yeah, that's "a bit of work" but "better be safe than sorry".

A detailed description of the purpose of any update would help me a lot in a) deciding if this is an update I need to do for my customers and b) explaining to my customers why this update has to be done.

Having said that: I HIGHLY appreciate the effort and work that is done by many of you to keep our CMS safe, stable and up-to-date!