Author Topic: cwsoft-addon-file-editor  (Read 19257 times)

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »
Hello,

this post is to inform you about my trial to revive the support for the admin tool cwsoft-addon-file-editor (formerly known as Addon File Editor or in short AFE).

Background information:
I took over responsibility for my previous modules "Addon File Editor", "Anynews" and "Postits" in February 2012, after maintenance has stagnated for more than 2 years and "modified" versions with small adaptions for latest WebsiteBaker or jQuery versions, and/or backwards incompatible changes (e.g. Anynews versions with changed function parameters) were spread around via the forum by other community members.

As a consequence, I "forked" my own modules (starting from the last official released version) at GitHub to give them a new home with a public repository for better code and feature request tracking and easier possibilities for contributions (via GitHub fork/pull mechanism etc.), instead of the very user unfriendly way of searching the forum for "patches" and "latest versions". With the initial releases at GitHub, I increased the major module version number to the next higher integer number to make the "fork" and the new start of maintenance support "visible".

Since February 2012, I pushed more than 55 commits to GitHub and added 72k and removed 51k lines of code (including external plugins like Twig, file header changes etc.).

From February to September 2012 the following new features were included:
 - adapted to work with latest WebsiteBaker version (header, jQuery inclusion)
 - fixed broken backup function
 - updated external PEAR packages to work with latest PHP versions
 - updated module to work with changed Pixlr-API
 - introduced the more flexible template engine Twig (which is now part of WB 2.8.3 core)
 - updated all module templates to Twig
 - added new feature to unzip ZIP files (requested by BlackBird)
 - reworked README and screenshots

Name change: "Addon File Editor" --> "cwsoft-addon-file-editor"
In July 2012, I started to rename all my supported modules from "Module name" into "cwsoft-module-name". Since September 2012 all my modules stick to this naming convention.

The name change is finally a result of all the work I put into the "forked Addon File Editor module" since February 2012, plus some branding with my domain cwsoft.de, plus the fact that "outdated" module versions (not supporting WB 2.8.x) are still listed at AMASP without having control of updating the content as my request for a new AMASP account was refused, while receiving funny PMs or E-mails at the same time asking me to update those outdated modules.

Beside the name change, I dropped support for outdated PHP and WebsiteBaker versions. Hence modules following the "cwsoft-module-name" naming convention do need PHP 5.2.2 or higher and WebsiteBaker 2.8.x (starting from 2.8.2) as minimum requirement. Apart that and the name change, nothing will change for you as a user or customer (beside the fact that you should uninstall a previous version so not to have two versions side by side). The modules are still published under the GNU GPL license and will be offered for free (as in free beer).

The sum of all that made me finally believe that a name change (including my branding cwsoft) is well justified. At the end it is the decision of the module author (which it's me) to choose an appropriate module name :wink:

Further information and downloads
 - Module README
 - WebsiteBaker download packages
 - View or report known issues

Feel free to contribute to the cwsoft-addon-file-editor module using GitHubs fork and pull mechanisms.

Cheers
cwsoft
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:54:11 PM by cwsoft »

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »
Hello,

version 2.1.0 of the cwsoft-addon-file-editor is available at GitHub. This release is a bug fix release, addressing bugs  with WebsiteBaker versions 2.8.2 and 2.8.3. The version was tested under Windows and Linux (thanks to jacobi22 and ruebenwurzel).

Download:
Download from GitHub
README + GitHub Repository

Changes / Fixes:
 - AFE again creates installable ZIP-archives of Add-ons as under WB 2.7 (fix for WB 2.8.2+2.8.3)
 - change to get AFE working under WB 2.8.3 (WB 2.8.3 referer fix)

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:06:42 PM by cwsoft »

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
Hello,

for the upcoming cwsoft-addonf-file-editor v2.3.0 (download links see last post), I do need help with the translation of one single text line for the languages French, Dutch and Norwegian. If you can help out here, please post the translation in this thread and I will include it with the v2.3.0 STABLE release at GitHub.

The text line to translate is as follows:
Code: [Select]
'TXT_INVALID_FILENAME'  => 'The specified file or folder name is invalid.',

In case you prefer German for the translation:
'TXT_INVALID_FILENAME'      => 'Der angegebene Datei- oder Ordnername ist ungültig.',

Apart from that, any feedback about AFE is welcome in this thread :wink:

Best regards
cwsoft
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:53:39 AM by cwsoft »

Offline pcwacht

• Dutch ICT info
cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »
'TXT_INVALID_FILENAM E'  => 'The specified file or folder name is invalid.',

'TXT_INVALID_FILENAM E'  => 'Het gespecificeerde bestand of directory is ongeldig.',

Cheers,
John
http://www.ictwacht.nl = Dutch ICT info
http://www.pcwacht.nl = My first
both still work in progress, since years.....

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 01:07:32 PM »
@pcwacht: Thanks for the Dutch translation, that was quick :-)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:54:00 AM by cwsoft »

Offline pcwacht

• Dutch ICT info
cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »
Rethinking my translation, perhaps a better suited, less formal one could be:

'TXT_INVALID_FILENAM E'  => 'Opgegeven bestandsnaam of directory is ongeldig.',

I would prefer this one.

Have fun,
John

http://www.ictwacht.nl = Dutch ICT info
http://www.pcwacht.nl = My first
both still work in progress, since years.....

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
Hi,

a first release candidate of the upcoming cwsoft-addon-file-editor v2.6.0-RC1 is available at GitHub.

Changes since v2.5.0-STABLE
 1. added option to unzip *.zip files (/code/config.php --> $unzip_archive_support)
 2. the help link now points to the README of the installed version (before always master branch)
 3. fixed bugs with tooltips and action-icons
 4. for further details see README

HELP NEEDED:
Due to the new function to unzip (*.zip) files, the language files needs to be adapted. I search for volunteers willing to translate the AFE text lines below into the languages: Dutch, French and Norwegian. If there is anybody willing to contribute, just copy the code below, translate it and post it in this thread - thanks.

'TXT_UNZIP' => 'Unzip'
'TXT_ACTION_UNZIP_ARCHIVE' => 'Unzip archive file'
'TXT_FILE_TO_UNZIP' => 'File to unzip'
'TXT_TARGET_FOLDER' => 'Target folder'
'TXT_SUBMIT_UNZIP' => 'Unzip'
'TXT_UNZIP_WARNING' => '<strong>Note: </strong>Unzipping an archive may overwrite possible existing files in the target folder and can not be revised.'
'TXT_UNZIP_SUCCESS' => 'Archive sucessfully unzipped.'
'TXT_UNZIP_ERROR' => 'Failed to to unzip given archive file. Please check that the archive is a valid ZIP-archive and the target folder has PHP write permission.'

With the upcoming WebsiteBaker version 2.8.4, admin tools can have their own icon in the admin-tools backend. If there are any volunteers with time and talent out there willing to create a nice ICON (64x64 pixel) for AFE, I will include it with the next AFE version. As I do not earn any money with AFE, I can't offer more than listing you in the section Credits - sorry :-)

cwsoft
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:03:31 PM by cwsoft »

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 05:58:44 PM »
Hi,

I am still searching for potential translators willing to translate 8 AFE text lines from German or English into the languages: Dutch (NL), French (FR) and Norwegian (NO). The release of AFE v2.6.0 STABLE is scheduled for beginning of September.

The text lines to translate can be found in the German, or the English AFE thread. Just post the translations in this thread. I will pick them up and add them to the stable release and add a acknowledgement of the translator to the README.

Thanks and regards
cwsoft
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 03:19:43 PM by cwsoft »

Offline Hans

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »
Here is my NL translation. If anyone has other ideas, that's fine for me ;-)
Hans
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:34:18 AM by Hans »
Hans - Nijmegen - The Netherlands

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
@Hans: Thanks for the Dutch translation, will add it with the next release.

It seems there is one line of translation missing. Would you mind to provide a translation for the following line too?
'TXT_UNZIP_SUCCESS' => 'Archive sucessfully unzipped.',
Best regards
cwsoft
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:54:39 AM by cwsoft »

Offline Hans

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »
Sorry!!

Het bestand is uitgepakt. (I omitted "successfully" because I find it a bit overdone) If you want to add it, the sentence is: Het bestand is met succes uitgepakt.
Hans
Hans - Nijmegen - The Netherlands

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »
@Hans: Thanks for the fast update. Took over your changes to GitHub.

Best regards
cwsoft
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:54:59 AM by cwsoft »

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 10:01:50 PM »
Hi,

just released cwsoft-addon-file-editor v2.6.0 at GitHub. For details please read this post.

Further information and downloads
 - Module README
 - WebsiteBaker download packages
 - View or report known issues

cwsoft
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:57:53 AM by cwsoft »

Offline Linuxkommunist

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »
Hello!

Ever thought of a new editor in AFE? I just read that article in German Heise newsticker: http://heise.de/-1710002

A quick test showed me that ACE seems to be really fast: it rendered a 43k PHP file in about no time, whilst the current AFE editor takes 24 seconds for the same task (Firefox, Linux 3.5 64bit, Athlon Dual Core 2.4 GHz)

Cheers,
  Linuxkommunist

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »
Hi,

Quote from: Linuxkommunist
Ever thought of a new editor in AFE?
Not really. So far AFE uses the syntax highlighting capabilities provided by the WebsiteBaker core, which are based on the 3rd party JavaScript EditArea. This wrapper is used as well by other modules e.g. code2 and/or core modules implementing the "Edit module CSS" files option. In general I prefer a single global solution over a local one.

AFE was developed for small, sparse changes in mind. Opened a 40kB file in Firefox 15 on Windows 7, blank WB 2.8.3 with default admin theme and latest AFE 2.6.0. According Firebug it took less than 8s until the editor was fully up and running. Timing issues with really big files should be "edge cases" for most of the users, as most Addon files have less than 20kB file size. On my machine 20kB files take less than 3 seconds to show up, which is acceptable from my point of view. There was a proposal for "CodeMirror" in the German AFE thread some time ago as EditArea has some bugs in latest IE9. Since BSI and Microsoft do not recommend to use IE at the moment (at least not with scripting enabled), I do not care too much about IE at the moment either :-P

However, if anybody wants to give it a try and provides a wrapper for an alternative JavaScript editor, which can be used by WebsiteBaker core and/or other modules, just send me a pull request via GitHub. :wink:

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:39:05 PM by cwsoft »

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor v2.6.1 released
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 10:52:40 PM »
Hi,

just released cwsoft-addon-file-editor v2.6.1 at GitHub.

Updates since last version:
 - fixed notice warnings in PHP 5.4.x (reported by Luisehahne, thanks)
   (since PHP 5.4.0: "Changed silent conversion of array to string to produce a notice")
 - updated README

Further details, screenshots and download via GitHub.
https://github.com/cwsoft/wb-cwsoft-addon-file-editor#readme

Feedback welcome.

Cheers cwsoft
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:03:09 PM by cwsoft »

Offline cwsoft

GitHub changes
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
For your information.

GitHub recently dropped support for managed downloads. Up to now I offered WebsiteBaker ready installation packages of my modules via the Repository downloads sections, which is no longer available.

It is still possible to download an archive of the latest master branch using GitHubs "ZIP button" or download older "taged" module versions via GitHub Tags section. However those archives are dynamically created by GitHub including the repository folder itself, leading to invalid "WebsiteBaker installation zip files".

As workaround, just download the latest module version from the WebsiteBaker Add-on page, or download the GitHub archive, unzip it locally and rezip it without the parent folder to make it a installable WebsiteBaker archive yourself.

Cheers

Offline cwsoft

cwsoft-addon-file-editor v2.7.1
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 08:09:06 PM »
Hi,

the maintenance release cwsoft-addon-file-editor v2.7.1 is available at GitHub and the WB-Repository.

This version updates the used 3rd party packages to the latest version.

Further details, screenshots and download via GitHub.
https://github.com/cwsoft/wb-cwsoft-addon-file-editor#readme

Feedback welcome.

cwsoft
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:50:43 PM by Luisehahne »

Offline marmot

Re: cwsoft-addon-file-editor
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »
Hi,

There was a proposal for "CodeMirror" in the German AFE thread some time ago as EditArea has some bugs in latest IE9. Since BSI and Microsoft do not recommend to use IE at the moment (at least not with scripting enabled), I do not care too much about IE at the moment either :-P
so some time went by and I guess the warnigs stand no loger but the problems EditArea with IE9/10. I came around this as user msfrog asked for an update. So here we go, just replace the two extraced files from the attachment inside the include/editarea of your wb installation and hopefully you can use IE9/10 (including syntaxhighlight) again for editing.
Please note that this is a core replacement with all its consequences.

regards

Edith: following a hint from trici tired to make code_area work with Safari 5 too.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:02:16 PM by marmot »

Offline mikejd

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 10:44:15 AM »
I have been using this editor for some time on several sites. Recently I have been having a problem when trying to save a file after editing. It appears this may only apply to changes to a template index.php file.

If I edit the file then click 'save' I get the error message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /wb/modules/cwsoft-addon-file-editor/code/action_handler.php on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I can edit the css or info files for the template and then save correctly, but not the index file.

Can anyone suggest a solution, please?
Mike

Offline cwsoft

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 01:32:01 PM »
@mikejd: Please check the permission of the index.php file in doubt. Guess it has only read permission and/or was modified via FTP, while the other files are not. You can try to add your FTP connection details in order to check if it works with FTP permissions or not.

Some hosting companies (e.g. all-inkl) allow to change permissions recursively via their administration backend.

Cheers

Offline mikejd

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 02:03:14 PM »
All the files have the same permissions - -rw-r--r--, so I don't think that can be the issue, thanks.

Mike

Offline cwsoft

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »
Hi,

All the files have the same permissions - -rw-r--r--, so I don't think that can be the issue, thanks.
Have you tried the FTP layer. The file permission don't tell you if the file is owned by the PHP or FTP user. By default AFE tries to manipulate files via PHP. This will fail, if the file is owned by the FTP user (groups). As workaround one can enable the FTP layer included in AFE. If the FTP layer is enabled, file access is first time with PHP and if this fails via FTP commands.

Cheers

Offline mikejd

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
All the files have user deverono and group deverono.

I am not sure what you mean by enable the FTP layer.

Offline cwsoft

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »
Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by enable the FTP layer.
https://github.com/cwsoft/wb-cwsoft-addon-file-editor#ftp-configuration-settings

If the FTP layer does not work, I would need access to your site for further testing.