Author Topic: Flash Tutorial #2 online!  (Read 19359 times)

andy

Flash Tutorial #2 online!
« on: February 01, 2006, 02:47:30 AM »
This is the second in my series of flash-based tutorials for WB.

In an effort to make it smaller, I have resized the entire presentation after editing it.  I also provide a no_music version for those of you who don't like the wacky music.  Am still considering replacing all voice with text-box dialogs.

http://develop.indriani.net/~andy/tutorials/tutorial2_small.htm
http://develop.indriani.net/~andy/tutorials/tutorial2_small_nomus.htm

For reference, here's the link to the first one, which is huge ;)

http://develop.indriani.net/~andy/tutorials/tut01.htm

PeterM

Re: Flash Tutorial #2 online!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 11:55:53 AM »
Very nice!!
Especially the way you showed the differences between the visibility.

bernie_rubber

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 11:48:40 PM »
Yeah - good job Andy!  For the amount of content in the tutorial... the load time improved for me too!

Stefan

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 11:06:45 AM »
Absolutely brilliant! I love your tutorials!

andy

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 09:03:48 PM »
Thanks for all your compliments.  I'm glad you like the tutorials.  I am dedicated to laying out the structure and usage of what I consider to be an absolutely fantastic program.  To give you some idea, I used to have a whole load of tutorials for Joomla! and was even set to be the tutorial writer for their WYSIWYG editor, but then I found WB, which I consider to be better, or at least well on its way to becoming so.

I have decided to restructure the tutorials.  Originally, tutorial 3 was going to be about page sections, but then I realized that the concept of page sections wouldn't make much sense without describing the concept of other types of pages to the user.  So, I have decided to make a number of tutorial 3s, and then make tutorial 4 the tutorial on page sections.

I will number the module tutorials 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and so on.  What order do you think I should put them in?  I would like to start with the most widely useful modules first and work down.  For now, I was thinking:

3.0: Modules description & Install FCKeditor installation
--
3.1: News Module
3.2: Gallery Module
3.3: Form Module
3.4: Bookmarks Module
3.5: Menu Link Module
3.6: Wrapper Module
3.7: Event Clendar
3.8: Download Gallery Module
3.9: Guestbook Module
--
4: Page Sections
5: Advanced WYSIWYG (this would be interactive, and allow you to click on various buttons to see what they do)
6: Users/Groups
7: Settings

How does this look?

mysticcowboy

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 06:37:37 PM »
How does this look?

It looks terrific, Andy. Your first two tutorials are great.

For clarity's sake, I recommend changing the proposed tutorial order a bit to cover the included modules first, then the add-on ones. That would only require pushing down the bookmarks module a couple of spaces.

Also, since some of the modules require installation, a module installation tutorial would be nice.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 07:55:48 PM »
ok this message is directed at andy - i was very motivated to jump over to joomla until i read your comment above.  Could you briefly (or not so briefly!) comment on why you made your decision between the 2?  Your tutorials are amazing and generous - thank you.  I am technical but this is exactly what i needed!

Now another question - can somebody point me in the right direction to learn how to set up some simple classifieds?  I cannot figure out the functionality just by playing around with the options on WB.  I have not been able to find any documentation on it yet.  Please help!

thanks again for taking the time to create these wonderul tutorials.

Offline DGEC

• EbelTech homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 09:16:41 PM »
Excellent job on the tutorials!

kickarse

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 05:48:32 AM »
how did you record this?

and really good job!

andy

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 11:56:04 PM »
Sorry for the long absence, but I finished up my term of service as an Americorps volunteer, and got a new job as a website applications programmer for the Alaska Permanent fund.  So, as you can imagine, I've been busy!  I'm back in the swing of things now, and will be releasing more tutorials soon.  In order to extend the accessibility of the tutorials, I have decided to switch from Macromedia Captivate, and begin capturing them in DebugMode.com's absolutely fantastic tutorial program, Wink.  Wink produces better results in terms of compression compared to Macromedia Captivate, and it's also free, which allows other people to view my tutorial source more easily, and alter it if they so desire.

To answer the question about Joomla! and why I chose to pursue WB instead: quite frankly, Joomla! is not very friendly to self-directed user management of their own sites. 

-The way it handles content is not very intuitive for a lot of people, and isn't the ideal solution for most of the sites I would deploy for someone else.

-Further, I find the module management and visibilty needlessly complicated.

-I also think it has become rather bloated and unwieldly in some areas.  In order to pursue my project, it was inadequate, and contained a lot of features that most users would have no need for.

-On top of all of this, I think WBs user and group support is more elegant.

mysticcowboy

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 05:52:22 AM »
Andy, you are so right about Joomla. It is not at all easy to administer. I've done 4 sites with it or Mambo and every one of the people who asked for it ended up unhappy. As far as I got maintainence contracts on three of them I'm doing okay, but it's better to have happy clients in the first place. I much prefer Drupal or Expression Engine for complex sites.

But WebsiteBaker is so much easier than either of them to use and great for most sites.

Welcome back from Americorps. It's a great program.

And happy sunlight season in Alaska.  :-)

orko3001

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 03:15:13 PM »
HI, great tutorials. Have you done any more? If not please do.  :-D

skidfin

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 07:49:26 AM »
Andy, The tutorials are excellent.  Please keep up the good work.  Anything you produce will significantly enhance the WebsiteBaker effort.   Do you have a time frame for when the next will be online? 

ja

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »
They are great!
Congratulations on your work, one day you could make one tutorial about making flash tutorials  :-D

Offline cliffman

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »
What happened to these tutorials?  The links no longer work.  Have they been moved, or discontinued?  Interestingly, this forum came up on the top of the google search for "WebsiteBaker video tutorial". 

abbi

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 05:06:07 PM »
Hey andy & everyone,

I'm new in here and at the "WB" scene   :roll:

I was thinking about testing my DB from my hip hop music website  (link attached) - which is Drupal at the moment, with WB + Flash + music on some of the pages.

The links andy added are not working for some reason  :|

Anyone got experience with moving drupal to WB and also using Flash?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 08:13:46 PM by abbi »