Great work, especially for a first effort!
Since you asked, here are some constructive criticisms:
- I find the "Home" page a little 'busy', and not all that welcoming, especially to a newcomer. Perhaps if there were some static descriptive text at the top of the main content section for visitors to read, something like what is in one of your slides "The Junior League of Arlington is an oroganization of women committed to ..." (check the spelling on "organization", by the way. The slides have all this content, but they switch too quickly to be able to read it!
- The black writing on red background is hard on the eyes (mine anyway) - http://www.jlarlington.org/pages/public/about-us/presidents-message.php
- "Member Log In" & "Pay Membership Dues" links stick out like a sore thumb in what is otherwise a pretty clean design.
- the 'oval' hover states are interesting, but wouldn't be my first choice. I'm not sure why, they just seem amateurish or something.
- This is a personal pet peave, but I dislike when a link (especially a menu link) breaks the site layout and/or navigation. For instance:
- "Donate Online" menu link. I would suggest wrapping that form to keep your site navigation consistent.
- Same goes for "About Us/Annual Report", which opens a pdf. Alternately, you could open the pdf _blank so it opens in a new window or tab. Not every user will know to click the "Back" button in a pdf, to go back to your website.