WebsiteBaker Support (2.8.x) > Droplets & Snippets

Snippet: cwsoft-anynews

(1/46) > >>

cwsoft:
Hello,

this post is to inform you about my trial to revive the support for the code snippet cwsoft-anynews (formerly known as Anynews).

Background information:
I took over responsibility for my previous modules "Anynews", "Addon File Editor" and "Postits" in February 2012, after maintenance has stagnated for more than 2 years and "modified" versions with small adaptions for latest WebsiteBaker or jQuery versions, and/or backwards incompatible changes (e.g. Anynews versions with changed function parameters) were spread around via the forum by other community members.

As a consequence, I "forked" my own modules (starting from the last official released version) at GitHub to give them a new home with a public repository for better code and feature request tracking and easier possibilities for contributions (via GitHub fork/pull mechanism etc.), instead of the very user unfriendly way of searching the forum for "patches" and "latest versions". With the initial releases at GitHub, I increased the major module version number to the next higher integer number to make the "fork" and the new start of maintenance support "visible".

Since February 2012, I pushed more than 60 commits to GitHub and added 46k and removed 31k lines of code (including external plugins like Twig, file header changes etc.).

From February to September 2012 the following new features were included:
 - updated jQuery file inclusion to work with newer WB versions
 - added new jQuery slider plugin: "Flexslider"
 - made jQuery Plugins customizable without touching external plugin files
 - moved all hardcoded Anynews output to template files
 - fixed broken sort by comments feature added by another forum member
 - added option to filter news not only by group but also by: page, section, and post id
 - added option to filter news by page language
 - introduced the much more flexible template parser Twig
 - updated all templates to Twig
 - reworked entire README

Name change: "Anynews" --> "cwsoft-anynews"
In July 2012, I started to rename all my supported modules from "Module name" into "cwsoft-module-name". Since September 2012 all my modules stick to this naming convention.

The name change is finally a result of all the work I put into the "forked Anynews module" since February 2012, plus some branding with my domain cwsoft.de, plus the fact that "outdated" module versions (not supporting WB 2.8.x) are still listed at AMASP without having control of updating the content as my request for a new AMASP account was refused, while receiving funny PMs or E-mails at the same time asking me to update those outdated modules.

Beside the name change, I dropped support for outdated PHP and WebsiteBaker versions. Hence modules following the "cwsoft-module-name" naming convention do need PHP 5.2.2 or higher and WebsiteBaker 2.8.x (starting from 2.8.2) as minimum requirement. Apart from that and the name change, nothing will change for you as a user or customer (beside the fact that you should uninstall a previous version so not to have two versions side by side). The modules are still published under the GNU GPL license and will be offered for free (as in free beer).

The sum of all that made me finally believe that a name change (including my branding cwsoft) is well justified. At the end it is the decision of the module author (which it's me) to choose an appropriate module name :wink:

Further information and downloads
 - Module README
 - WebsiteBaker download packages
 - View or report known issues

Feel free to contribute to the cwsoft-anynews module using GitHubs fork and pull mechanisms.

Cheers
cwsoft

mdemaree99:
Please update the jquery  to use the normal 1.3.2 file vs modified file.

Currently if another module uses the real jquery 1.3.2 functions there are compatibility issues due to the differences..

cwsoft:
Hello,

plans for the next release are:
 - remove jquery 1.3.1 version shipped with the module and use the WB version instead (WB 2.8.2 --> jQuery 1.7)
 - check compatibility of jQuery plugins with jQuery 1.7
 - check for alternative plugins supporting jQuery 1.7+
 - remove jQuery support from Anynews if no alternative slider working with jQuery 1.7 is found

Cheers

P.S.:  Seems the jQuery coda-slider plugin is no longer actively maintained (last commit 2009, required jQuery 1.3.1). Due to massive API changes from jQuery 1.3 to 1.7, I doubt that the coda-slider plugin will work with jQuery 1.7 without massive changes. So if I do not find a compatible plugin, I tend to remove it from Anynews.

cwsoft:
Hello,

cwsoft-anynews ships with the third Party JQUERY Plugin Coda-slider, which seems no longer be actively developed. The Last Update was 2009 and requires jQuery 1.3.1. WB 2.8.2 ships with jQuery 1.7, which is incompatible to 1.3.1.

The question is, how many people Out there are Using this anynews feature and how many of the People using this Feature have issues? Is there an alternative for Coda-slider, licensed under GPL and Running with JQuery 1.7+?

Are there any cracks Out there willing to Update the Coda slider jQuery stuff? The answers will help to figure Out if this Feature will be Removed with the next version or Not.

Cheers

kweitzel:
I personally do use AnyNews but without the coda slider. The second one mostly because I never got it working to my satisfaction  :roll:

Cheers

Klaus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version