WebsiteBaker Support (2.10.x) > General Help & Support

Upgrade from 2.8.3 to 2.10.0-latin1 to utf8

(1/6) > >>

contactjw:
I'm getting ready to upgrade. I read on the German support forum that there is a problem with older DBs with latin1 entries. My DB has quite a few latin1 entries so I'm planning on finding and replacing in notepad all latin1 entries with utf8. Just want to check to make sure that I understood correctly that this is something that I should do before I upgrade.

Gast:
the problem with latin1 comes, if you use special chars like the german Ä, Ö, Ü, ä, ö, ü, ß or other specialchars from other languages. search specially for problems in textfields like page- or menutitle, description, keywords of pages and for the project (wb-settings) , but also in newstitle, bakery-item-title etc,
do you use only english in your project? if yes, i think, thats no problem

contactjw:
Yes, I only use English. I will go ahead with the upgrade without changing the entries. If needed, I can always go back and change the entries later but sounds like it shouldn't be needed. Thanks for the info.

contactjw:
Seems the problem comes up in English for certain characters like '. I've gone ahead and reverted back to 2.8.3 SP7. If I understand correctly the easiest way to resolve the problem is to replace all the latin1 entries with utf8 using notepad. Is that right? Or is there an easier/better way?

DarkViper:

--- Quote from: contactjw on July 18, 2017, 11:56:25 PM ---[…] is to replace all the latin1 entries with utf8 using notepad. Is that right? Or is there an easier/better way?
--- End quote ---
Never use Notepad for any kind of changes! Notepad is the biggest producer of charset mismatch. ;-)
A really good and utf8 secure editor is Notepad++ (Download Notepad++
NP++ also allows to change the charset in the editor..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version