Author Topic: New module: Multi Page Settings module  (Read 14408 times)

Offline imqqmi

New module: Multi Page Settings module
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:47:21 PM »
Hi!

I've been using Website baker for a number of websites taking modules here and there so I thought I'd share one I've made/modified.

What it does
Multi Page Settings is exactly like the single page settings, you can change parent, visibility, keywords, language template, menu etc. but applies them to one or more pages you select from a multi select box.

What it's meant for
Website baker isn't a CMS for very large sites, it misses a number of productivity features that could allow you to change multiple pages with the same settings like making 10 pages hidden in just a few clicks. If you've trawled  through 50 pages changing the visibility, menu, template etc. you know what I mean. There must be a better way! Indeed there is now :) So this is not for sites containing just a handful of pages, but will be very handy with sites containing 50+ pages. Especially if you've converted the site from html using ImportHTML module or similar (also created by me, let me know if you're interested, it's rather basic though so don't keep your hopes up) or Multi page create. You can easily build up a structure of pages now.

Caution
Because it's such a powerful tool you need to take precautions in the case something goes wrong. It's still in alpha so don't trust it on live websites. Make a backup of the database first. This tool can seriously mess up your carefully crafted menu structure should something unforeseen happen. So far it has worked for me and I use it on a work in progress website (still not live to date of posting).

Limitations
- It will not apply security/permissions (yet). Because this takes a little more thought I decided not to implement this feature yet. You're welcome to add it of course :)
- It will not do sections
- It can't delete the pages. You can get around this by adding a dummy page, move all the pages you wish to delete and delete the dummy page, all subpages get deleted as well.
- I've set compatibility with WB 2.8, it might work with older versions but haven't tested it. You'll need to change info.php if you wish to try, at your own risk of course.
- I've got some hard coded text in there so it's not fully language aware
- It's a hack so I probably ignored quite a few framework rules. It's supplied as is, though suggestions are welcome. I can't promise anything but I'll see what I can do.

Where to find it
The module will show up in the Admin-Tools section.

Hope you enjoy this module, please let me know what you think!

Download
http://www.inblik.nl/MultiPageSettings.zip
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:21:15 PM by imqqmi »

Offline imqqmi

Re: Multi Page Settings module
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:13:34 PM »
Sorry I messed up, I've made some changes to the module and re-uploaded it. Please redownload, it should now work as intended.

Offline hillschmidt

Re: New module: Multi Page Settings module
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »
Hey, cool - that I was looking for BEFORE I changed a lot of pages for the visibility directly in the Database :(

Is a German translation wanted? I could volunteer! (Didn't check the structure of the modul so far).

Offline hillschmidt

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »
... but I was missing ONE level to select pages ... I changed the tool.php in lines
296, 297:
Code: [Select]
               // Stop users from adding pages with a level of more than the set page level limit
if($page['level']+1 <= PAGE_LEVEL_LIMIT)
and the same in 387/388
       // Stop users from adding pages with a level of more than the set page level limit
if($page['level']+1 <= PAGE_LEVEL_LIMIT)
and then I could select pages on the 4th level and do what I wanted to do.

On top of this, it seems that a reload of the page is needed after each action ... but I'm not sure for the moment what I really caused in changing the code there.

And for a translation, it looks alike that the .htt is the file to be adopted for other languages ... different to the other modules having language files ... but anyhow: it worked fine for me with 2.8.2

Offline imqqmi

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:52:51 PM »
Thank you for your interest hillschmidt! Thanks for the addition. If there's anyone out there who would like a German version please let me know, I'd gladly accept hillschmidts generous offer for translation.

I've added your changes to tool.php and updated the MultiPageSettings.z ip file, thanks!

Offline Bug

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »
the only thing I miss is setting the rights for usergroups, or am I overlooking something?

Offline imqqmi

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »
@Bug: Yes that's correct, I've stripped it out because it wouldn't play nice because of the multiple passes with different page ids etc and I didn't need it at the moment. I'm considering putting it back in, but feel free to do it if you want/need it.

jacobi22

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »
i think, its better to use
a) language files for the whole text and (maybe) other languages
b) the page language (and not the first language in the list) is the preselected language in the language select-field

Offline Bug

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 10:09:29 PM »
@Bug: Yes that's correct, I've stripped it out because it wouldn't play nice because of the multiple passes with different page ids etc and I didn't need it at the moment. I'm considering putting it back in, but feel free to do it if you want/need it.

do you mean it totally did not work or that you thought it was crap?

Offline Argos

• Argos Media
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 12:33:29 AM »
This sounds nice, but it should really have settings for access right, as this is the most common bulk action in large existing sites in my experience.
Jurgen Nijhuis
Argos Media
Heiloo, The Netherlands
----------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't request personal support, use the forums!

Offline Bug

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 07:07:04 AM »
Indeed, that is the one thing that needs to be less time consuming, opening all pages in new tabs and going click n save n close n click n save n close etc

Offline mdemaree99

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 07:22:49 PM »
great mod.. exactly what I have needed.
I have 2 section of website and was changing privacy and template one at a time..

Suggestions
I like setup / look becuase you can quickly change everything back to default and public and starting over.

Additon I woujld like to see is a 2nd tab that would allow you to see page details and look like what website states as "Multiple Page" or found under my mods as "Multi Page Creator" that can create 14 pages at once.  It would be nice to see each individual pages settings and be able to change it for each one.  You would take a little longer to change each pages settigns before you hit save, but good way to see if you have pages set up a little different than others.

Also.. Need to get it updated on Mod list and will need to rename original mod on website to match its real descrion.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:56:55 PM by mdemaree99 »

Offline Boudi

• Global Moderator
  • //o_-\\
    • Yze Webdesign
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 09:21:47 AM »
In fact this mod has great potential. Just tested it for making +100 pages hidden -> visible with a single click. And it just did it. Great mod! Thank you for sharing.
...:: Bake the Unbakable ::...

Offline crnogorac081

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 02:54:34 PM »
great potential ! folowind this mod !
no bb in signature

Offline flip

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »
The link doesn't work any more: http://www.inblik.nl/MultiPageSettings.zip

Does anyone knows where the file can be downloaded?

Offline hillschmidt

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »
well, 1st try to ask via the Dutch eMail form on http://www.inblik.nl/contact.htm to get in contact with the site where it was hosted.

In any case, I still have a copy of the original .zip ... but I didn't use it under 4.8.3 so I cannot assure that it will work or what kind of problems you may encounter. I used it once, a long time ago (4.8.1?)

Offline imqqmi

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »
Sorry guys,

I've accidentally removed the file from the server but it's back up again, just use the link in the OP!

Thanks for your interest, I have no plans to build in the access rights part in the near future. I agree that changing access rights is one of the most common jobs that takes a lot of clicks in the current system. I'm often the sole webmaster and when there are more people they often need access to only a small part of the website.

@mdemaree99
What you describe seems to be a spreadsheet function. Each row with all settings for one page. It's a good idea but a totally different module :)

@hillschmidt
If the WB database hasn't changed since 2.8.1 it should work fine but I haven't tried it out yet. Use at your own risk!

instantflorian

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 07:29:36 PM »
Hi,

it works also with WB 2.8.3 (at least to change the template, that's what I used it for^^). Great tool indeed!

BR
_florian.

Offline marmot

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 08:48:01 PM »
Hi,

did some functional updates and tried to reduce the number of notices which are displayed:
Quote from: info.php
25.10.2012 v. 0.1.0
! fixed some notices
- deleted some needless code
+ introduced language files
+ added admin-group support
+ added possibility to add and delete keywords, groups and descriptions instaed of just replacing

thanks to the module creator and I hope this update is ok for him, if not pls let me konw and I will delete it immediately.
Hope someone findes this helpful.

As always test at your own risk and there is no guarantee for nothing.

regards

Edith: Please find updated version below
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:18:58 PM by marmot »

Offline imqqmi

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 09:28:47 PM »
Thanks Marmot! No problem at all, in fact I like the fact it's being developed :) I'll check it out soon!

Offline Argos

• Argos Media
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »
Very nice, thank you marmot! I'm sure many will appreciate your work.
Jurgen Nijhuis
Argos Media
Heiloo, The Netherlands
----------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't request personal support, use the forums!

Offline dbs

• Betatester
  • tioz4ever
    • WebsiteBaker - jQuery-Plugins - Module - Droplets - Tests
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 08:10:11 AM »
Hi, there is a call for pages_settings.js in settings.htt (line 3).
<script src="../../templates/wb_theme/templates/{ADMIN_URL}/pages/page_settings.js"...Will this really needed?

DE.php line 35:   "der"  :wink:
$MPS_TEXT['SELECTION_HINT2'] = 'Sie erweitern der gew&auml;hlten Bereich, wenn Sie...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:50:07 AM by dbs »

Offline dbs

• Betatester
  • tioz4ever
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »
Hi,

did some functional updates and tried to reduce the number of notices which are displayed:
25.10.2012 v. 0.1.0
! fixed some notices
- deleted some needless code
+ introduced language files
+ added admin-group support
+ added possibility to add and delete keywords, groups and descriptions instaed of just replacing

Very good module!
I miss one function: "search" enabled/disabled
So i must 20 pages change by hand and this is hard work (5 clicks per page).

Offline marmot

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »
Hi,

I miss one function: "search" enabled/disabled
So i must 20 pages change by hand and this is hard work (5 clicks per page).
hmm I think updating the moudle is more keystrokes than 100 and there are really experienced guys around who could add this by just looking at the code of the other options. Even if they often claim to be "no coders"  :wink:.
But once again I tried to do my best and updated the module a bit but leave testing up to others  :roll:.
So here we go:
13.01.2013 v. 0.2.0
! fixed errors reported by dbs: http://www.websitebaker2.org/forum/index.php/topic,22160.msg170122.html#msg170122
! fixed notice concerning page_code
+ option to set search inclusion as requested by dbs: http://www.websitebaker2.org/forum/index.php/topic,22160.msg172674.html#msg172674

regards

Edith: find updated version below
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:00:13 PM by marmot »

Offline dbs

• Betatester
  • tioz4ever
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 06:27:16 PM »
Tested and works like a charme. Big THANKS!

Your're right, i could try to change the code by myself, but the result would be another. Believe me. 
In this case is another result not the yellow of the egg. :wink:

postern-length