Author Topic: Enhanced Backup Module  (Read 33228 times)

Offline mjm4842

Enhanced Backup Module
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:03:01 AM »
The attached ZIP file is an enhanced version of the fixed backup module which is available at:
http://www.websitebakers.com/pages/admin/admin-tools/backup.php

If you don't see an attachment, you are probably not logged in to the forum.

What's New

In addition to database backups, this module now includes the ability to make backups of the files on your website.

Installation

Start by uninstalling the Backup module. Then install this one. If you don't like it for any reason, just uninstall it. Then download and install the old one using the above link.

Notes
  • This only works if your server configuration has not disabled the PHP exec command, and if you can run the ZIP command. If these two conditions are not meet, the option to make a backup of your files will be disabled.
  • Note that this backs up absolutely everything on your website including everything in your media folder or other additional folders you may have created. If you have large media files on your site or have installed other applications in subfolders of your site, the resulting ZIP download can be quite large.
  • For a Full Backup, be sure to backup the files AND backup the database.
  • Make sure you have enough file space on your website. During the backup process, a temporary file will be created which will be approximately half the total size of your site. This will be deleted as soon as you are finished downloading the ZIP file.
Restoring Your Backup

Like the database backups, the method you choose to restore your backup is left up to you. If you managed to install the WebsiteBaker files manually in the first place, just repeat that procedure. The ZIP file is setup in very much the same way.

IMPORTANT

This module is provided with minimal testing. It seems to work for me but it may not work for you. Be sure to test your backups to ensure that they include everything that they should.

Be safe and always have a recent backup!

Michael

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:05:04 AM by mjm4842 »
Frustrated? Spending too much time developing when all you really want is a working website? Contact me directly if I can be of services to you.
___________________ ________

www.tngconsulting.c a

Offline mjm4842

Re: Enhanced Backup Module
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:44:27 PM »
Hot on the heels of version (a) comes version (b). This release fixes the File Backup related issues listed below.

What's New
  • Undeclared variables display result in Notices displayed. This is fixed however you might want to consider turning off reporting of warnings and notices.
  • Warning message appear if php exec command is disabled in php.ini. The message now suppressed however you might want to consider turning off reporting of warnings and notices.
  • File Backup radio button is disabled. A tool tip for the File Backup radio button has now been added when it is disabled. Just hover your mouse over the disabled radio button to find out why it is disabled.
  • Large backups failed (~100 MB). Script now increases the time limit to 120 seconds if PHP script timeout is less than 2 minutes in php.ini. If this still isn't enough, edit the backup-sql.php file. Look for the set_time_limit command around line 74. The number here is in seconds. You may set this number between 1 and 300 seconds (0 to 5 minutes). Any higher and your web browser will end up timing out and you'll have a completely different issue to resolve.

IMPORTANT

Also, be sure to check with your hosting provider to ensure that your script doesn't end up running longer than their policy allows.

Please note that I have not managed to make the file backups work on WebsiteBaker Portable Edition.

FAQ

Q: Is it possible to automate backups of both the files and the database from a cron job?
A: Anything is possible :-). But unfortunately not in the scripts current state. Check around the Net for backup scripts which will backup both your files and your databases.

Q: What if my backups are so big that the script doesn't work?
A: Sorry, you'll have to find some other solution.

Thank you to those who contributed feedback.

With best regards,

Michael
___________________ _____________
TNG Consulting Inc.
Sustainable Solutions for Life
http://www.tngconsulting.ca

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:10:50 PM by mjm4842 »
Frustrated? Spending too much time developing when all you really want is a working website? Contact me directly if I can be of services to you.

www.tngconsulting.c a

Offline maier-tech

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »
Hallo Michael,

the server ignores the increased timeout. Was it possible to start the process and the by reloading a page try to check whether the WebsiteBaker.zip exists and then start the download? What obviously happens is, that the WebsiteBaker.zip-file is created completely but then no download starts. Anyway very high on my wish list is, that the sqlfile is contained in the zip-file. That can be done, if the sql-file is first created in the root of the server and after creating the zip-file again deleted.

Kind greeez,

Klaus

Offline mjm4842

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »
Hallo Klaus,

Thanks you for your recent comments.

The server ignores the increased timeout.

Sorry the timeout didn't work for you. This would normally only happen if your provider was running PHP in safe mode. As one of the system requirements for WebsiteBaker is to NOT have PHP in Safe Mode, I will assume that this is not an issue here (right?). Just out of curiosity, Can you tell me how long the script runs before it times out?

Was it possible to start the process and the by reloading a page try to check whether the WebsiteBaker.zip exists and then start the download? What obviously happens is, that the WebsiteBaker.zip-file is created completely but then no download starts.

If the ZIP file remains on the server, it could be because either the script had an error or because it timed out. The last thing the script does after you download the file is delete the ZIP file from the server.

While it is possible have the page reload until the ZIP file is created completely, the problem is that the ZIP file would remain on the server even after you download it. If the ZIP file was password protected, I might consider this option.

Anyway very high on my wish list is, that the sqlfile is contained in the zip-file. That can be done, if the sql-file is first created in the root of the server and after creating the zip-file again deleted.

I had considered including the SQL file in the ZIP file. I decided not to for a couple of reasons.
  • There is no way to restore the database from the server. It has to be stored local anyway so that you can import it using phpMyAdmin. If I were to included it in the ZIP file, you would have to extract it anyway. Besides, if you download the SQL file first - which doesn't take very long, then you can let your computer run as you download the ZIP file.
  • If anything goes wrong, the ZIP file could end up staying on the server. Should this happen, you would not want your database (which contains all your passwords) to be included.

At some point in the future I would like to add the ability to password protect the ZIP file. At that time I may consider including the SQL file in the ZIP file.

On this (local) server the option "Backup all files (database not included)" is grey. Do you know why ?

Place your mouse over the radio button (the circle to the left of the text). Text will appear near your mouse a moment later to indicate the reason. If you are using either WebsiteBaker Portable or Server2Go on Windows, it won't work. At least I have not managed to make it work. I am not sure of the reason for the failure.

Once day, when I have time, I will try to figure it out. I suspect that it might have something to do with the orientation of Windows slashes because the ZIP program is different between unix/linux and Windows.

With best regards,

Michael

www.tngconsulting.c a

Offline maier-tech

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 04:22:49 PM »
Hallo Michael,

I tried it again on my local linux-server. What I saw was, in my htdocs-folder the file "ziGDMCzN" was increasing. After 2:40min (and that thats longer than the 120sec) right in the moment, when the file "ziGDMCzN" was renamed into "WebsiteBackup.zip" the errormessage "Die Website kann diese Seite nicht anzeigen." appeared in the browser. That means, the reason is not the timeout.

Concerning the sqlfile in the zipfile, you are right, if anything goes wrong and the file remains on the server, this would be severe security problem. Only if the file is password protected, this would work.

Concerning the problem with the grey radio-button. The message is "zip not available" So I think at my provider one of the libs is not existant and this off course a server side problem.

But anyway, that's the right way. Perhaps I'll try to understand the source and perhaps I can also try somethin.

Thanks a lot,

Klaus  :-)

Offline mjm4842

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:47:25 AM »
Hi Klaus,

Using a text editor like Notepad, open the file called backup-sql.php and look for the following lines. They should be around line 73 or 146 if the text seems to be double spaced:

Code: [Select]
  if (ini_get("max_execution_time") < 120)
    set_time_limit(120); // increase timeout to 3 minutes

Change the 120 to 180 in these two lines and save the file:

Code: [Select]
  if (ini_get("max_execution_time") < 180)
    set_time_limit(180); // increase timeout to 3 minutes

What this will do is increase the timeout for the script to 3 minutes if it is currently less. My provider, for example, sets this to 30 seconds by default. Let me know if this helps.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Michael

www.tngconsulting.c a

Offline mjm4842

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 07:51:37 AM »
------------------------ Backup v2.8.0.3 ------------------------

The attached ZIP file includes version 2.8.0.3 of the Website Baker backup module available from:
http://www.websitebakers.com/pages/admin/admin-tools/backup.php

Reminder: If you don't see an attachment, you are probably not logged in to the forum.

What's New
  • Better Server Compatibility: The File Backup feature has been completely re-written. It now uses the PclZip library making this feature compatible with and available on all installations of WebsiteBaker.
  • Better Platform Compatibility: The File Backup feature now works on Windows and local installations too.
  • Improved Speed: In my tests, the new code seems to be at least twice if not three times as fast.
  • Better Security: The name of the ZIP file now includes a unix timestamp. This makes it harder to guess the file name in the event that the script times out before the ZIP file is deleted from the server.
  • Better Browser Compatibility:The HTTP headers have been updated in an attempt to better support IE6+.
  • Fixed Upgrading: Updating from previous versions now works properly (there was a problem going from 2.8.0.2a to 2.8.0.2b).

Installation

1) First, make sure you have a backup of your modules/backup directory in case you decide you want to rollback for any reason.
2) Next download and install the new version as you would any other module.

Notes

There are a few things that can prevent the File Backup feature from working properly. Here is what you need to know:
  • Failed to ZIP and/or download: The File Backup option actually backs up absolutely everything on your site except for the database. If you have a large number of files, large downloads on your site, PHP may timeout before it has finished compressing the files or you may run out of server memory. The only way to work around this issue is to find a way to increase the default timeout and memory space. The backup tool does attempt to increase the PHP timeout to two minutes however your hosting provider may have disabled your ability to alter this. Another reason this could happen is if you don't have enough space on your website to temporarily store the ZIP file which is typically about 50% of the original uncompressed size. Finally, the Backup module features may not be compatible with some download managers.
  • You notice the your latest backup is about doubled the size: This will happen if the backup script previously timed out before it deleted the temporary ZIP file. To resolve the issue, you will need to use FTP or a web based file manager to delete the ZIP file which you will find in the root of your web space.
  • Missing Data: For security reason, a Full Backup is a two step process. Remember to backup both your files AND your database.
  • ZIP file is corrupt: Make sure you are using the latest version of your ZIP application. For example, WinZIP 6.0 has problems with ZIP files created using Pclzip but version 8.0 has no problems at all. 7zip works fine too.

Restoring Your Backup

Just as backing up your website was a two step process, restoring it will be as well. It does not matter whether you restore your files or the database first. Just make sure you do both.

Files: If you managed to install the WebsiteBaker files manually in the first place, just repeat that procedure. Do Not run the install script after a restore!

Database: I use phpMyAdmin to restore database backups which seems to work well for me.

IMPORTANT

This module is made available having only undergone basic testing. It seems to work for me but it may not work for you. Be sure to test your backups to ensure that they work and include everything that you expect them to.

Be safe and always have a recent backup!

With warmest regards,

Michael Milette

NOTE: The attachment has been removed. Look for the most recent version attached to newer posts.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:48:29 PM by mjm4842 »

www.tngconsulting.c a

Offline dbs

• Betatester
  • tioz4ever
    • WebsiteBaker - jQuery-Plugins - Module - Droplets - Tests
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:44:10 AM »
hi, a first test:

backup all files, backup all tables in database.
the normal-user is now wondering about "drop tables if exits". who the f... is drop tables. it stay unchecked.

ok, now we have 2 backup-files.

old installation deleted with ftp, upload of the backup-files.
i use for database the mysqldumper, not phpmyadmin.
but only phpmyadmin works with this backup-file.
error: table "addons" already exists. ah, drop table if exits should be standard-checked.

at the end, it is possible to make backup an recovery (with phpmyadmin only)

(the german translation for the backup-button is "erstelle Datenbanksicherung"
= create databasebackup
but it is not ok for files-backup. *g*)

dbs

Offline BlackBird

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 09:42:45 AM »
Q: Is it possible to automate backups of both the files and the database from a cron job?
A: Anything is possible :-). But unfortunately not in the scripts current state. Check around the Net for backup scripts which will backup both your files and your databases.

If the module uses GET params, this can may be done using a service like cronjob.de. But, of course, you will have to give that service backend permissions.

A great tool for (even automated) database backups is MySQLDumper. (http://www.mysqldumper.de)

Offline mjm4842

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:46:48 PM »
--------- BACKUP v2.8.0.4 -----------

DBS: Thank you very much for taking the time to test and contribute your results. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Please find attached a new version of the Backup module which includes the following two changes:

1) The option to drop the tables if it already exist is now checked by default as that really does makes more sense to me. I have yet to find a good reason not to drop tables when doing a restore.

2) I also did my best to updated most of the language files. Hopefully the new translations will make more sense. Keep in mind that I only speak French and English so there may be room for improvement. The only language file I was not able to translate at all was Russian (RU). I am not sure how to properly encode the Cyrillic characters.

There are no new features or changes to the functionality included in this release.

REQUEST FOR HELP

If you don't see a language listed, please contribute a translation. There are only 5 short lines to translate and the WebsiteBaker community will really appreciate it. You can find a list of all ISO standard language codes at:

http://www.mathguide.de/info/tools/languagecode.html

To create a new translation, make a copy of the English version (EN.php) replacing the letters EN with the corresponding two letter language code you will find using the above link. Make sure these letters are uppercase and the .php remains in lowercase. Then edit the new file using a text editor. Although I use PSPad, you can use Notepad++ or even Windows Notepad.

To upload your translation, you must either ZIP the file or add a .txt to the end of the file name. For example, EN.php.txt .

Your contributions and feedback are much appreciated.

With warmest regards and appreciation,

Michael Milette

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:51:03 PM by mjm4842 »

www.tngconsulting.c a

erpe0812

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 05:59:10 PM »
reworked DE language file

rgds

erpe

erpe0812

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 06:13:48 PM »
Hi

did a quick test.
Backup of db is working fine.
Backup of all files ends with a white page and no error message (though level is E_ALL_STRICT).

Can someone confirm this?

rgds

erpe

EDIT:  WB 2.8.1, FF 3.6
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:54:49 PM by erpe »

Offline dbs

• Betatester
  • tioz4ever
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »
backup of files works fine.
(but tested on svn 1466)

Offline Hans

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »
did a quick test.
Backup of all files ends with a white page and no error message (though level is E_ALL_STRICT).

Here the same (2.8.1.) Both FF and Chrome if that matters.
Hans
Hans - Nijmegen - The Netherlands

Offline dbs

• Betatester
  • tioz4ever
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 07:50:51 PM »
new DE.php with new entry:
$MESSAGE['GENERIC']['PLEASE_BE_PATIENT'] = 'Die Sicherung kann je Gr&ouml;&szlig;e einige Zeit dauern';

the german-wb-message contains text with databasebackup and this is not right for file-backup ;-)
now it means: the backup can take a while

edit:
backup files with wb 1287 (argos, FF) works fine.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:25:22 AM by dbs »

Offline dbs

• Betatester
  • tioz4ever
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »
if you have more wb-installations under a tld, the backups have the same name.

Offline mjm4842

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 03:44:29 AM »
Thank you erpe and dbs,

new DE.php with new entry:
$MESSAGE['GENERIC']['PLEASE_BE_PATIENT'] = 'Die Sicherung kann je Gr&ouml;&szlig;e einige Zeit dauern';

the german-wb-message contains text with databasebackup and this is not right for file-backup ;-)
now it means: the backup can take a while

I really appreciate you folks taking the time to fix the German translation and submitting it here. The new translation will be included in the next version of the Backup module which I will iupload in a few days, just in case there are other changes yet to arrive.

if you have more wb-installations under a tld, the backups have the same name.

Not much I can do. It won't be the exact same name since there is a timestamp included in the filename however, if you are using Firefox, I know you are not prompted to modify the filename. I can certainly see how this might be problematic in identifying which site the backup is for. If you have a specific suggestion, please feel free to share it to me and I will update the code.

With best regards,

Michael Milette
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:50:55 AM by mjm4842 »

www.tngconsulting.c a

Offline mjm4842

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 04:38:41 AM »
Hi erpe,

The only time you will see an error message is if something goes wrong during the creation of the ZIP file, as long as it happens before the server times out the script.

TIP: Try clearing your cache. I noticed that this can cause a problem, especially if you've recently made a backup with a previous version of the backup module.

Can you tell me:

1) How much time goes by before the browser stops waiting for the ZIP file to start downloading?

2) How big your WebsiteBaker installation is in Megabytes?

3) How much disk space do you have available?

4) Is your implementation of Website Baker on Windows or Unix/Linix?

5) Have you tried a different web browser?

6) Check in the root of your web space. Are there any ZIP files there?

The latest version of the Backup module was created on WebsiteBaker 2.8.1 and have tested it on both Windows and Unix, with both Internet Explorer 7 & 8 as well as Firefox 3.6.3. Although there could be something wrong with the code, the problem is likely at the server end.

There are so many different server configurations possible that it is only possible to test all scenarios with help from people like you. I really appreciate your assisance and feedback. In the end, I may or may not be able to resolve this issue however I would like to try with your help.

As I mentioned in my previous posts, the file backups are limited by three conditions which are often controlled by your web space provider: time, memory and hard disk space.

• Time: Most host providers place a limite on how long a script can run. If your files are on a slow or busy server, you have a very large number of files, or you have very big files, the script may not finish creating the ZIP file within the allocated time. The script attempts to override this and give itself 2 minutes however your provider can override this.
  • Memory: It is my undertsanding that The PclZip library ZIP's a file into memory. Your host provider also has the ability to limit the amount of available memory to the script.
  • Disk space: Your provider also has the ability to limit how much disk space is available to you. On average you will need about 50% of the space used by your website for the ZIP file. If you have compressed files available for download or viewing, you might need more space.

Remember: The file backup option makes a backup of everything in and under the home directory of your WebsiteBaker installation, not just the files directly relating to WebsiteBaker. If you made files available for download like audio, video or other large files, or you have other web software installed in the same folder as Website Baker, all of this will be included in the ZIP file.

Unfortunately I am not sure there is a way to check for all of these conditions beforehand. Even if there were, the only thing I could do would be to remove the option if the server did not meet a minimum requirement.

In testing on my web host's server, it took about 25 seconds to create a 550 MB ZIP file. When debugging the code, I once accidently created a 2 GB file which seemed to take about 3-4 times as long. I was just about to give up when my browser finally prompted me for a file name. A typical browser will wait up to about 5 minutes for the file to start downloading before it times out.

Hope you found some of this helpful.

With warmest regards,

Michael

did a quick test.

www.tngconsulting.c a

Offline dbs

• Betatester
  • tioz4ever
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 07:24:40 AM »
i was to fast with upload de.php. there is a little error in german translation.  :roll:
right is:
$MESSAGE['GENERIC']['PLEASE_BE_PATIENT'] = 'Die Sicherung kann je nach Gr&ouml;&szlig;e einige Zeit dauern';

Offline mjm4842

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 03:31:14 PM »
Thanks dbs. I have updated the German language file.

With best regards,

Michael

www.tngconsulting.c a

Offline mjm4842

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 03:16:43 AM »
Hi Hans,

I was just wondering if you've been able to resolve your issues with the file backups using the information I posted in:
http://www.websitebaker2.org/forum/index.php/topic,18902.msg128694.html#msg128694

I spoke with erpe earlier today and he has managed to resolve his issues using the information in that post.

With best regards,

Michael

Here the same (2.8.1.) Both FF and Chrome if that matters.
Hans

www.tngconsulting.c a

Offline Hans

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 08:15:14 AM »
Hi Michael
didn't have time but I will try tonight or tomorrow.
Hans
Hans - Nijmegen - The Netherlands

Offline mikebichler

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 03:58:59 PM »
Hello!

Sorry, but my english is not the best (-:
What must I change when this error comes:
PCLZIP_ERR_READ_OPE N_FAIL (-2)
Only by File-Backup!
Database-Backup works perfekt.

Thanks for your answer!!!

Offline mjm4842

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 05:31:14 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your feedback. Based on my research, the error message you specified may be caused by by the following:

1) Your script needs to be able to both create the ZIP file and then read and write to it. What permissions do you have for your home directory? If there are ZIP files in that directory, what permissions do they have? In unix/linux, I have found that setting the permissions to 644 seems to work best for WebsiteBaker.

2) I developed this option using Website Baker 2.8.1. It should also be compatible with 2.8.0 however I did not do any testing with version 2.7.

3) If you take a look at the home directory of your website, do you see any ZIP files there? If so, what size are they.

4) I have also seen references to certain versions of PHP. What version of PHP are you using?

5) What operating system are you using? Also, is your site installed in the root of a directory structure (example: W:\ in Windows or / in linux)?

6) Is this a local "portable" installation or is the site hosted on a webserver?

Most important of all, was there possibly more information included after the PCLZIP_ERR_READ_OPE N_FAIL (-2) message?

Hopefully this information will either help you uncover the issue or provide me with the information required to help you.

With warmest regards,

Michael Milette

www.tngconsulting.c a

Offline mikebichler

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 07:39:17 AM »
Good morning!

Thanks very much Michael for your fast answer!

The full error message is:
Error : PCLZIP_ERR_READ_OPE N_FAIL (-2) : Unable to open archive 'WebsiteBackup_2010-09-09-1284010247.zip' in wb mode

I use a Website Baker CMS Version 2.8.1 on a all-inkl.com Webserver.

I don´t have the Server passworts on my PC at Work!
I must look at home for php Version, php-Fileupload Size ...

Maybe I have a problem with the function "exec command" i think.

nice greets
Mike

postern-length